The Books for Bricks ProgramBooks for Bricks is a book drive program run on college campuses by Achieve in Africa Ambassadors, who collect and resell donated textbooks to raise funds to purchase bricks to build classrooms in Tanzania.
Ambassadors have the opportunity to make an immediate impact and are campus leaders that represent Achieve in Africa within their university.
Name: Darius Katono Aruho
University: University of Oklahoma
Major: Chemical Engineering
Graduation Year: December, 2016
Personal Statement: I am very interested in seeing every child going to school, and not a school under a tree but very well structured and congenial learning classrooms. I have helped contributed in classroom construction in the past and I hope to continue, especially in Uganda.
University: University of Virginia
Major: Leadership and Public Policy
Graduation Year: May, 2016
Personal Statement: I am interested in East African development, specifically focused on how to stop the child wars in the region.
University: Ohio State University
Major: Political Science, focus on International Studies
Graduation Year: May, 2016
Personal Statement: I am interested in Africa not only because of the clear need of aid, but also because there are many developing countries in Africa and the future political state of Africa is something that will affect the international system; it will have a huge effect on us. As a global citizen, I find it to be my duty to ensure that people, especially African children, have access to education and a better future.
University: University of Maryland
Major: Finance and Economics
Graduation Year: May, 2017
Personal Statement: I am interested in Achieve in Africa because education is one of my biggest passions. I believe that all children should have opportunity and access to education. I joined AIA’s efforts so I may positively affect the lives of children, especially young girls, who otherwise would not have access to educational resources.
The Ambassador Role
- Coordinate and strategize with an Achieve in Africa Board Member on how to successfully run Books for Bricks, a book drive fundraiser, on your campus that will help build classrooms and desks for students in Tanzania.
- Lead the planning and implementation of the book drive fundraiser with the support of the Board Member.
- Represent your college/university as an Ambassador for Achieve in Africa and become a vital contributor to Achieve in Africa’s impact by identifying additional opportunities to fundraise on campus.
Qualities of Ideal Candidate
- Leadership experience
- Demonstrated ability to energize others about a cause
- Passion for improving education in Africa
- Entrepreneurial spirit and go-getter mentality
- Email your resume and statement of why you would be a successful Ambassador to Jacob Watson at email@example.com.
About Achieve in Africa
- Ranked a Top Nonprofit by Great Nonprofits in 2013 and 2014
- Gold-Level Participant on GuideStar Exchange
- Since 2009, Achieve in Africa has worked in rural villages of Tanzania to refurbish and expand an overcrowded primary school, build a village’s first secondary school, provide a community learning center, and equip two schools with electricity. Current efforts are focused on constructing more classrooms and desks to expand the secondary school, which currently benefits over 800 students.
- We are a team of volunteers. We do not take salaries in order to maximize the impact of each dollar that is donated.