Books for Bricks is a U.S.-based book-drive program ran on college campuses by Achieve in Africa Campus Ambassadors. Books for Bricks collects and sells donated textbooks in order to raise money for bricks to build classrooms in Tanzania. Hence, BOOKS for BRICKS.
Where do we get the textbooks? At the end of each semester, countless college students have leftover textbooks that they decide to sell or get rid of. Instead of receiving cents on the dollar from their university bookstore, college students have the unique opportunity to donate their textbooks to our Campus Ambassadors. Our Campus Ambassadors then sell these textbooks online to raise funds for Achieve in Africa’s projects. By doing so, students can feel good about their decision to donate their textbook to our cause by having an immediate impact on education in Tanzania.
Our Campus Ambassadors have the opportunity to make an immediate impact and are campus leaders that represent Achieve in Africa within their university.
The Ambassador Role
- Design and execute a strategic plan to collect textbooks on your campus that will in turn help build classrooms and desks for students in Tanzania. Creativity is always encouraged.
- Form a team and recruit advocates who will support your efforts on campus
- Establish partnerships with similar groups and communities on campus to widen support that will lead to additional textbook donations
- Communicate updates to Achieve in Africa’s Books for Bricks Program Manager in order to receive guidance and to identify best practices to ensure your success
Qualities of Ideal Candidate
We’re looking for self-motivated and well-organized leaders, with the ability to think strategically, implement effectively, and execute flawlessly. We need leaders with a demonstrated ability to energize others about a cause, who express a passion for improving education for others, and who embrace an entrepreneurial spirit and go-getter mentality. If this sounds like you, you should apply!
- Email your resume and cover letter of why you would be a successful Campus Ambassador to Tom Rockford, Books for Bricks Program Manager, at email@example.com.
About Achieve in Africa
- Ranked a Top Nonprofit by Great Nonprofits in 2013 and 2014
- Gold-Level Participant on GuideStar Exchange
- Since 2009, Achieve in Africa has worked in rural villages of Tanzania to refurbish and expand an overcrowded primary school, build a village’s first secondary school, provide a community learning center, and equip two schools with electricity. Current efforts are focused on constructing more classrooms and desks to expand the secondary school, which currently benefits over 1,000 students.
- We are a team of volunteers. We do not take salaries in order to maximize the impact of each dollar that is donated.